Log in if you have an account
Having an account with us will allow you to check out faster in the future, store multiple addresses, view and track your orders in your account, and more.Create an account
THE DRESS CODE.
Browse the DO'S & DON'TS of the three most common dress codes you'll run into this holiday season :
formal, cocktail, & business casual - and what the heck these terms actually mean.
DECIPHERING THE TERMS.
DO'S + DON'TS : AS TOLD BY NATALIE DRENNON
(that means so frills...just facts. ;))
DO : PAY ATTENTION TO THE DRESS CODE.
- if there's a dress code, there's a reason, people...
Black tie - Formal dressing for an evening event. think midi to full length dresses with a luxe look + hand. Black tie means exactly what you think it means - wear a tie with a suit and nice accessories to elevate your look. More than likely black tie events begin early evening and last throughout the night - so dress it up party people!
Cocktail - A suiting blazer + (key word...) nice jeans or trousers should be fine, guys....but make sure the look is polished with modern accents. Ladies - cocktail dresses can range anywhere from a midi or mini length dress to structured jumpsuits. just remember - proportion is key. If you wear a mini, make sure to keep it mostly covered on top with long sleeves or just add tights. Too much skin will cause heads to turn + not for positive.
Business casual Work events are always tricky but just think about what you wear to work + make it just a little more polished. wear jeans + a tee to work? just add a blazer and change our the snEAKER FOR AN OXFORD. WEAR A SUIT TO WORK? YOU'RE ALL SET. JUST MAKE IT YOU.
DO : DRESS TO SUIT YOUR STYLE + PERSONALITY [ BUT WITH PARAMETERS ].
DON'T TRY TO BE SOMEONE YOU ARE NOT.
- We all want to change it up sometimes but if you're the classic type having a tough time getting dressed - don't try to whip out that overly sexy bodycon dress you wore 4 years ago, 'cause hunny - the tugging + pulling just isn't cute or comfortable. Stick to what you know best and if the occasion calls for the extra fun metallic accessory or loud print, then go for it!
DO : DRESS FOR YOUR AUDIENCE.
- GOING TO A GALA? Sure - bring on the tasteful thigh high slit + the 3 piece suit.
- GOING TO A WORK HOLIDAY PARTY? Tone down the sexy, short dresses ... and guys - dress up the 'funny guy' look to something much more professional so your work mates can finally see the more serious side of you.
- GOING TO A FAMILY FUNCTION? Skip the heart attacks + sneaky whispers + tone it down in pulled together, family friendly pieces.
DON'T : (OR TRY NOT TO) OVER DRESS OR OUT DO THE HOST.
- Don't be that girl or guy to ou do the host if the occasion focuses on the hostess with the mostest. you can still shine bright without outshining the(wo)man of the hour.